The database market is massive (IDC estimates it to be $121B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
At MongoDB, our Design team is continuing to make it easier to use cloud databases and data tooling, simpler to scale and more secure so developers can focus their time on building their apps and not wrestling with their database.
MongoDB’s Design team is looking for a Senior Product Designer who is passionate about creating extraordinary, intuitive customer experiences and generating business impact. This designer should care deeply about our customers, getting them to experience core value by taking complex technical concepts and distilling them into simple user flows.
The right person for this role is someone who can identify user problems, create a long-term vision for expanding the current user experience, and facilitate a user-centered product development process. You’re an enthusiastic and assertive advocate for the user and obsessed with the quality of your work.
You’ll have the opportunity to work on one of three cross-functional product teams, alongside a team of other product designers, that work across the developer experience.
This role can be based in our New York City office or remotely in the US.
- Provide strategic direction to solve complex, open-ended problems that improve MongoDB products
- Design end-to-end holistic experience, from discovery to ideation, testing, and prototyping of the ideal user experience
- Drive the collaboration and build strong partnerships with Design, UX Research, Product, Engineering, and Marketing teams to collaboratively create, align and execute your vision
- Influence product and design direction through compelling storytelling that communicates a clear UX vision to stakeholders across products
- Contribute to the design team by mentoring, inspiring other designers, and raising the bar on design quality at MongoDB
- Data-driven. Uses qualitative and quantitative data to iterate on new designs
- Adept at designing, prototyping, testing, implementing, and evaluating user experiences of products
- Ability to elicit ideas from other team members, brainstorm with other team members, and bring the best ideas to life through simple and elegant design solutions
- Excellent visual design skills (layout, typography, visual hierarchy) and intimate knowledge of common interaction design patterns, components, and UX best practices
- Think big, and drive design and business goals forward through short-term and long-term roadmaps
- Capable of crafting or implementing user research studies with research goals that directly align with product strategy
- Ability to understand technical concepts and lead the design of large, complex initiatives with little oversight
- Articulates the design and/or product strategy trade-offs a design decision will have and what the impact will be for the user and can identify opportunities to prevent those trade-offs from happening in the first place
- Holistic-minded, consider the entire end-to-end user journey and how their work overlaps with others
- Collaborative. Must be able to work with members from all functions and strongly advocate for expressing user needs through design
- Demonstrates empathy for the users, teammates, and stakeholders
- User-focused. Cares deeply about the users, their pain points, and needs
- Thrives on large, loosely defined user problems and drives the team towards understanding through discovery and prioritization based on user needs
- Can influence others to support user-centered design decisions enthusiastically
- Intellectual curiosity, constantly asking, “How can we improve?”
- Cares deeply about the impact of their work
- Has a positive, resourceful mindset, looking for ways to get things done instead of listing all the potential blockers
- Desires to continually improve self, others, and the experience our customers receive
- Demonstrates humility, as the best ideas for product design may often come from others on the team
- Firmly held beliefs are confidently expressed but can change based on new evidence
- Personable. Being either introverted or extroverted is fine, but this person must be able to work with roles from all functions and strongly advocate for expressing user needs through design
- Comfortable with ambiguity and continuous feedback. The Cloud team is tight-knit and collaborative, with many team members having extensive technical backgrounds
- You have an exceptionally strong portfolio that shows how you tackle complex user problems, research and validate your assumptions and solutions, and showcase the impact of your work
- You’re not afraid of getting technical: No prior developer tools experience is required, but you are excited to learn about databases, developer workflows, and application development
- You’re experienced with design tools (like Figma, Sketch, Invision, etc.)
- Bonus if you’re comfortable with interaction design tools like After Effects or Principle
Did you check most of the boxes, but not all? That’s fine. There is no such thing as a “perfect candidate.” MongoDB is a place where everyone can grow and does grow. Our supportive, inclusive environment is a place where you can be your best self and safely ask others to help you get there. We just ask that you are open and honest where you might need a bit of extra support.
What makes our design team great?
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the team, and for the customer
- We encourage open, honest, authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We use both primary research and user research to make sure our designs are based on facts vs. opinions
- We believe that good ideas come from everywhere and that we are the facilitators of great design vs. the sole creators of design
- We give each designer appropriate autonomy and ownership over their designs and encourage everyone to add their special
- “Sign-off” is more about providing guidance and helping to fill in gaps vs. command and control, dictatorial design
- We have a strong design feedback culture but are embedded in small teams with engineering and product managers
- We like to have fun
Each person that joins our team adds something unique and special, changing the team for the better. If you’re passionate about technology and this Design team sounds like one you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you!
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ well-being and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type, and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.